Just about every decision we make, or action we take, is in the end the result of the twin forces; pleasure and pain. Now reduce me if this appears a little simplistic, but give me an opportunity and I will make clear how this is so. how to make myself pee
Let’s take a Paruresis related example. “John” goes in a public toilet. This individual looks at the collection of urinals and wants he could simply move up to them and do his business. Nevertheless, he also notices that there are several other guys in the bathroom, there will be no dividers between the urinals, and there is a strong likelihood that he won’t be able to go. He then looks over to the stalls; they have a lock on the doors, they give him complete privateness, and he’s confident quite possibly be able to use them. “John” decides the stalls are definitely the better option for him.
Now, when “John” was assessing the urinals the following things went through his brain:
– “Other guys may notice I’m was powerless to go, therefore triggering me embarrassment. ”
– “The toilet is quite busy so I know I’d struggle to go, therefore evoking anxiety. inch
– “There are no urinal dividers, therefore there is no privacy. inch
– “I really need the toilet and if We froze up, the next possibility to pee wouldn’t be for some time, therefore creating uncertainty and pain. ”
Would it not be fair to say that the feelings of embarrassment, anxiousness, lack of privacy, uncertainty and pain all cause emotional pain? If you are embarrassed, that just isn’t a pleasurable feeling; it can a painful one. Essentially, pain is the umbrella term for all our negative emotions.
Now, when “John” was assessing whether he should use the stalls, the following things went through his brain:
– “The door will be locked, i really can completely relax is to do my business. ”
– “I avoid have to worry about anyone seeing if We find it difficult to go, giving myself comfort. ”
– “I’m in the privacy of my own, personal stall. ”
– “I’m completely confident I will be capable to go, therefore freeing me up as soon as I leave. No worrying about finding another toilet, or making up excuses to the people I’m with. inches
Obviously, the feelings of relaxation, peace of brain, total privacy and self confidence are pleasurable ones. For that reason, the umbrella term for all our positive thoughts is pleasure.
So why do “John” choose the stores above the urinals? Simple! This is inherent in our human nature to go after pleasure and avoid pain; it’s our survival system.
Now the example We have described doesn’t tell the full picture, it’s a snapshot of “John’s” psychological state at just a minute in time. In truth, “John” has survived from Paruresis for years and years. He seriously wants to overcome it, it’s ruining his life. He’s even read my article on ‘Systematic Desensitization’ which is listening to my Hypnotherapy course day-in, day-out. (If you’re unsure of what Systematic Desensitization is, it’s a technique of little by little revealing oneself to your fear, so it becomes less scary).